Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Amnesia Girl

You know, I must really be getting old. My memory is going. Over Christmas I received an email for someone sending me season's greetings. Which is really sweet. H said he just found my contact details after a long time of thinking he's lost it and he really thanked me for making his and Mabel's time in Asia so wonderful.

Awww ... bless. There is only one problem. I have no clue who this person is. I spent the last few days looking through namecards and trying to dust through every cobweb in my memory bank. And I still have no clue who he and Mabel (am assuming that is his wife or girlfriend) are.

The amnesia continues as I received a call from someone who claims to have met me at some social function. Again, I have no clue who he is and have absolutely no recollection despite his mentioning mutual friends and even a description of what I said and wore. However, it sounds like me from what he recounted. "Deprecating wit", "hilarious sense of irony and humour" and "silly faces" sounds like me. "Very put together" did not though.

Anyway, I was too embarrassed to admit I had no clue who he was. So when he asked me out for coffee, I agreed out of sheer embarrassment and guilt. It was only after I got off the phone that I started berating myself. What on earth was I thinking??!!! This is almost like a blind date - for me! I wondered if I'd just be suckered. Damn this faulty memory!

So I reckon I just agreed to a blind date. I cannot remember the last time I did that. I think it was in college when my girlfriend dragged me to a double date with her. And that was a disaster. The guy really impressed us when he tried to ask us if we wanted to go a "launch" after dinner. Some confused moments later we realised he meant lounge. And he also tried to invite me on his "yaks". I was ready to slap the man silly when I realised he meant "yacht". Suffice to say, I was very glad to bugger off home that evening. I also made my girlfriend promise me never ever to make me go on double dates with her. And not to give Mr Yaks my telephone number.

I think it is time I go look up my notes from my grandfather's teachings to find some Chinese medicinal cure for amnesia.



Categories - Rambling Prose



3 Comments:

Blogger 3A Gurl said...

You too huh? I received an email from someone who claims to have met me a long time ago. Since his last and middle names are similar to mine, I figured he could be one of my many, many cousins who finally got my address from either my father or brother. What to do...had to reply just in case he was the real thing and not some weirdo who struck gold.

9:52 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Isn't it bizarre??? I mean, two different people contacting me in one week and both I have no clue who they are. I started wondering if I had been sleep befriending or was in the Twilight Zone.

Anyway, anyone who writes to me claiming to be related to me would be thoroughly ignored! And wouldn't your brother or dad tell you if they gave your addy to someone?

10:20 pm  
Blogger 3A Gurl said...

No way lah...they will just wait for me to call them up to check with them (so sneaky right?). Anyway, no worries there - I will just block the weirdo if he is one.

7:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home