Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Spare Part - Steph's Piscean Soup

Be not afraid. I will not be posting about intestines or tripe or any other spare parts here. Not that I can promise that I will not do so in the future ...


I had quite a bit of ingredients left from my laboratory experiment that I either had to stow them all away in the fridge or cook up something immediately using them. The first option was not viable as my fridge is totally full. So I decided to cook up something based on all the ingredients left.


Let's see ...


Fish colloid made of fresh mackeral, diced red dates and dried squid. Minced pork also with diced red dates and dried squid. Lotus root. Half a tomato. Ginger juliennes. A little beaten egg. One red date. A little over half a dried squid. Half a mackeral fillet. Skin of half a mackeral fillet.


And I was stuffed. I did not think I would be able to eat a full meal after all the Lian Lian You Yu I ate. The decision was therefore rather simple. I would cook a fish soup.


Steph's Piscean Soup
Leftover fish colloid made from mashed mackeral, diced red dates and diced dried squid
Leftover mince pork mixture with diced red dates and diced dried squid
1/2 a mackeral fillet,
1 cup of cubed lotus root
1/2 dried squid, soaked to soften & cut into quarters
1/2 tomato, cubed coarsely
1 tbsp ginger, julienned
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 red date, soaked to soften - you can add more but I only had the one left!
1/4 cup clam juice
1/2 tbsp oil
Skin of half a mackeral fillet
2 tbsp beaten egg
1 handful coriander leaves


1. Roll thumb-sized fish balls from the fish colloid and do the same with the pork - I managed to make about 4 pork balls and 10 fish balls
2. Heat the oil in your pot and saute the garlic till it begins to turn a little golden
3. Add the dried squid and saute till fragrant
4. Pour the claim juice into the pot and add about 2 - 2 1/2 cups of water
5. Add the lotus roots and bring to the boil
6. Lower the heat and add the ginger, red date and pork and fish balls
7. In the meantime fry the mackeral skin in oil till the crispy
7. When the pork and fish balls rise to the surface, add the fish slices and the tomato cubes and simmer for about 5 minutes
8. In the same oil used to fry the mackeral skin, cook the egg to make a thin golden disc
9. Turn off the flame on your fish soup and add the coriander
10. Keep the soup covered so that the fish will continue to cook but not over an open flame (this stops you from overcooking the fish)
11. Let the egg cool before cutting it into strips
12. Ladle your soup into a bowl
13. Plate your mackeral skin over the top with the egg strips over it




I think that wasn't too bad for a soup made from leftover ingredients and on the fly. It tasted pretty fantastic and best of all, it was wonderfully healthy, which was what I needed after all that deep fried extravagance of Lian Lian You Yu.


I give the soup a 9/10 for taste and a 9/10 for being so healthy. It was truly lip smacking good. Gawd, I ate so much today ... I wonder how much an iGallop costs. *Snigger*


Categories - In Hot Soup, Fish Tales

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Hi MM - You're a wizard with leftovers! ...now I've got to get me some of that lotus root...

6:24 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey CJ, thanks so much for visiting! Like your site too!

Hey Michelle - LOL, it's really necessity being the mother of invention. Have limited fridge space and I hate wasting food so I always have to get creative with leftover. Do get some lotus roots - they really are good for you! Gawd I sound like a mum ...

6:54 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh wow, Tin, thanks so much! Of course it's more than OK - I'm very honoured!

9:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home