Saturday, February 25, 2006

Men Are From a Different Planet System ...

Ah, the joys of having an obliging housemate with a strong dose of Saving-the-damsel-in-distressitis.


I must look a fright as my housemate took a gander of my flu-infested visage and offered to buy dinner for me. Relieved and grateful, I asked for something simple and easy to eat, thinking that he would buy some noodle soup that would glide easily down my parched throat and soothe my over-worked lungs.


Instead, he came home with a huge packet of rice with an assortment of vegetables and meat. All smelling uttlerly delicious but not exactly the easiest on a battered throat. It is true that men and women communicate on totally different levels. My definition of "easy to eat" was obviously a different kettle of fish to his.


All that time I spend in the kitchen has obviously not escaped his attention. The gastronomic missive of mercy contained enough vegetables but more importantly, okra. He proudly informed me that he'd noticed I cooked quite a lot of okra and so he'd ordered those for me. I was terribly touched by his consideration. However, the delineation between men and women became apparent as his girlfriend rolled her eyes expansively and berated him for buying a sambal dish for me when I obviously had a bad throat. She gave me a commiserating and apologetic look while pinching his arm in reproachment.


There ... you see? A woman would think of that and immediately consider the repercussions of consuming a dish. A man would just think ... hmm, will that taste good even if it promised to eviscerate their bowels for the next week.




Categories - Rambling Prose

15 Comments:

Blogger 3A Gurl said...

At least he noticed that you like okra. That's like a 1000% improvement on some married men, who don't even realise that their wives' preferences have totally changed.

11:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahahah, very funny! Enjoyed reading your post a lot!

12:12 am  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Ahh, you are so funny. I am quite clueless on why men are so different than women. Why would anyone plan it this way? Kind of a cosmic joke, or perhaps the differences are meant to be complimentary, although it often doesn't turn out to be that way.

12:56 am  
Blogger K Allrich said...

Hoping you are feeling better by now.

I always reach for soup -garlicky and gingery, hot and spicy and sour, to cure my throat...wish I could have sent you a quart of it!

9:32 am  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

man, the stuff he bought for u its hard on the throat - lolz

2:25 pm  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Funny post - I hope by now you're feeling better.

Love your writing style - thanks for sharing, even through the dreaded flu.

9:19 pm  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:20 pm  
Blogger jasmine said...

What a gret post--I'll add my voice to the "at least he noticed you liked okra" chorus.

Whereas what he chose for you wasn't easy on the throat, at least he meant well :)

j

4:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he really meant it well getting the okra you love
but men just sometimes cant get it right lol

6:57 am  
Blogger Joycelyn said...

hope you are feeling better. funny post ;) men *insert expansive eye roll*

11:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better! Great post!

12:15 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I can see this post certainly touched a chord with many ... thanks for all your comments!

3A Gurl - Eh ... as I did in your kitchen that day, I am stepping out of the line of danger ...

Bea - Welcome back! I am so jealous of your Kiwi adventures. Glad you had a chuckle here.

Kalyn - Same here. Am clueless too.

Marcus, Jasmine & Sha - I was very appreciative and would not have said a thing. Just grateful he made the effort! But his girlfriend started tearing in on him ...

Anyway, there's a reason why he remembers the okra. Okra is very common in Singapore and is called ladies fingers here. Even the most clueless bloke would know it. And also because I once gave him some of my sambal okra and he loved it.

Karina - I wish you could have too! I love garlicky & gingery anything!

Foodcrazee - Thanks for visiting & commenting. And tell me about it ... I had to drink so much honeyed water with each swallow!

Ruth - thanks so much!

Thanks J & Ivonne!

7:26 pm  
Blogger Hamlet Sweeney said...

Men are like are star anise. You need to crush and pummel them to release the hidden depths and flavours.
Women are like salad leaves. A bit dull on their own but amazing with the right accompaniments and a bit of dressing.

Great blog MM.
Don't be a stranger. www.thedublinfoodie.com

9:04 pm  
Blogger mae said...

Hi MM,

We had the same flu. I know exactly what it's like. I hope you feel better soon. I wish i could send you some of my tamarind soup x

9:44 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Aw, Mae, you poor thing! That's so sweet of you .. I wish I could send you some fish soup. They should really invent a super-express tiffin carrier system for us food bloggers so we can partake of each other's creations!

2:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home